FOUNDATION Course Curriculum Outline

FOUNDATION Course Equipment List

Wednesday, June 10, 2026

Working with Major Distractions Today

Did some longe line work today so far with Mia out in the acre of grass being mowed by the lawn service people - in two gigantic ride-on mowers. She went, predictably, insane. We've been house bound - and that should change later today when I pick up our car. Also ordering a replacement muzzle until the other arrives - apparently it's been delayed up to 2 weeks but they say it's coming. We'll see. Meantime, I'm ordering a replacement that'll do so we can come to next Monday class. The lawn people move around predictably, and it's a large area so takes awhile to mow, even with two ride-on mowers. They then blew some grass around with leaf blowers, filled up their mowers, maneuvered them back on their truck. All the while I had Mia working away from them - and she got into it, doing what she's supposed to, but the butterflies in the hay along the line of the property we were working on(walking north to south), definitely continue with the distractions. Between the butteflies, the mowers, the guys themselves, and traffic going and coming, I got my arm nearly jerked out of its socket about 10 times, felt like. Mia was distracted and had to work for it. I kept her just far enough away to keep her somewhat sane, but close enough she had to work for it. By the time we were done she was ready to have a drink and sit in the dog run - which I'm doing on and off now, because I simply cannot have her constnalty in her crate. I move her - into my office with me, into the crate for dark quiet time with a bone or lick pad or alone, or in the dog run alone or with Ash for very limited periods of time. I've also been working Ash in front of Mia. Despite only doing this work like 1/15th of the time, at least, Mia has, he's 100% better at it. He stays at my heel, he doesn't let himself get too distracted, he stays with me. So Mia sees us working, and I suspect that might be good for her. He's her alpha and doesn't get his feathers ruffled so much. All this to say, we're working. We work all day. I do office work for an hour to 2 hours, then work her. Repeat mixed in with cool down and quiet time. She's not off leash - ever. Tonight I might try to get her to another location, depending on car, but just that work out with the yard care people here was so intense I feel like I myself need a cool down and dark crate lol But we'll get there. I'm learning this is a life style. This isn't 12 weeks. This is months. Months and months and months. And it's a lifestyle. At least it gets me out of the office chair and out in the sun and meditating as I walk. Missing the hikes, so all good things. Just boring as hell sometimes.

1 comment:

  1. This is life with a trained dog, the training is for the life of the dog. It will become far more interesting as we progress in the training, Diana.

    ReplyDelete